Thursday, April 16, 2009

Lomo Encounter of the Nth kind


My first encounter with lomography was accidental I do'nt know anything about it until I've read an article in a techie magazine way back 2007.I At that time I'm not into photgraphy because of its technicality and for being an expensive hobby.But for what I've read that lomo is way too different from photography then suddenly I became interested and also because of the lomo pictures I've seen.

Then my hunt for my first camera was on,I went to the mecca of Philippine photography Hidalgo St.,Quiapo ,Manila to search for a reasonably priced Holga but can't find one maybe at that time the lomo-bug is busy biting the Pinoy artsy crowd.Then Team Manila announced thru some newspaper articles and tv shows that they gonna be the official distributor of these type of cameras here in the Pinoy archipelago.At first a bit hesitant to purchase the Holga 120 because of the availability of the 120 film at that time and the photolabs in our area don't process that type of film .And the good news is Team Manila will bring in Holga120's little bro the Holga135 so I waited for a few months and that was my first lomo cam. Then after another 3 months then came my second lomo cam the fisheye2 and my most recent one is the granddaddy of lomo cams the LC-A+.

Reasons why I like lomography:

a)Im fascinated by the saturated,funky and radiant colors and vignettes produced .
b)elements of surprise with light leaks and sometimes bluured outputs.
c)not so technical,don't have to worry if the shots were of of focus,there is no right or wrong in this kind of photography.
d)free spirited,no rules just click,click,click.
e)purity of this camera ,certain feel in it that a digital camera don't have.
f) Eastern bloc inspired,Im always fascinated by anything Russian or Eastern European .
g)the adventure and excitement of taking pictures of people without them knowing it,just like a KGB.lol
h)It is not an ordinary lifestyle.

No comments:

Post a Comment